01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Cheesy Low-Cal Drop Biscuits (with vegan option)

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Cheesy Low-Cal Drop Biscuits (with vegan option)



Yea.  It's the week before my upcoming nuptials (coworkers have been warned to leave me alone) with the accountant and I'm doing a lot of therapy baking (which means my coworkers still like me).  I've also had no internet and it's been a mess just trying to get scheduled for Spring Semester courses.  So I've plugged along and went to my boot camp classes at my gym which is really a cover for cross-fit.  Rant, rant, rant.

These biscuits came from frustrations on what to make with chili.  I made a pot of Jillian Michaels' turkey chili because November is the inaugural month of Midwestern overcast skies.  Chili usually evokes some hard core corn bread...but when you're lazy and have a large box of whole grain pancake mix, I usually head to the Betty Crocker because I'm not ashamed of fast recipes.  You can only be so gluten free and so free range.

Cheddar Drop Biscuits adapted from Betty Crocker
Stuff
1 medium sized mixing bowl
measuring spoons
wooden spoon
Baking sheet
non-stick spray

Ingredients (don't alter the pancake mix/liquid ratio, seasonings can be tweaked as needed)
2 cups whole wheat (or gluten-free for the haters) pancake mix
3/4 cup 1% milk (or non-dairy milk)
2/3 cup low fat mozzarella (or Daiya or whatever cheese you have around)
1 Tablespoon (TBS) olive oil
1 TBS Montreal Steak Seasoning (or whatever flavors make you happy)
1 TBS Garlic Powder


Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.  Combine all ingredients in bowl.  Stir until combined, will be a bit dry and biscuit-dough like.  Drop onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.  I made mine around 2 tablespoons each, it made about 14 each, they're a bit dry which works with soup.

Calorie Breakdown (per biscuit)
90 Calories, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber