01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Crock Pot Diaries: Amaretto Apple Crisp with Pumpkin Spice Greek Yogurt

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Crock Pot Diaries: Amaretto Apple Crisp with Pumpkin Spice Greek Yogurt

Crock pot amaretto Apple crisp over pumpkin spice Greek yogurt

Adapted from The Realistic Nutritionist

I was kind of in an angry mood for most of Friday.  Between weighing in at the gym and breaking my wine decanter while dusting, I was pretty much ready to check out into a spa somewhere.  Luckily, I'm down to just doing the seating charts for my wedding next month.  After realizing I had a ton of produce from the CSA bag this week and picking up a few other things, I've decided I need to give the crock pot another try.  I sorta made chili in September and hadn't touched it since.  Now, I've managed to rock out this apple crisp and pulled chicken fajitas which will be coming next week.

Ingredients: 
  • 6 chopped apples
  • 2 TBS Amaretto liqueur 
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 2 tablespoons apple pie spice or I used pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tablespoons apple butter (I used Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter *not vegan but you can use agave nectar or maple syrup)
  • 1/4 cup Smart Balance or regular butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • Dash of salt
  • Greek Yogurt mixed with pumpkin butter for garnish OR low-fat vanilla ice cream/coconut milk ice cream
Directions: 
  1. Place chopped apples in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add pumpkin butter, amaretto, 1-2 TBS pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar.  Stir to coat the apples. 
  1. Sprinkle walnuts over the apples and mix well.
  1. In another bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice and salt. Cut in Smart Balance using a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture until they are all covered.
  1. Set slow cooker to low and cook for about 4 hours.  Make sure your crock pot has an off option after 4 hours so the house doesn't go up in flames.  
Nutritional information per serving (2/3 cup) sans ice cream or yogurtCalories: 230Carbohydrates: 36 grams/ 2.5 servings of carbohydrates
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 4 grams