Adapted from The Realistic Nutritionist
I was kind of in an angry mood for most of Friday. Between weighing in at the gym and breaking my wine decanter while dusting, I was pretty much ready to check out into a spa somewhere. Luckily, I'm down to just doing the seating charts for my wedding next month. After realizing I had a ton of produce from the CSA bag this week and picking up a few other things, I've decided I need to give the crock pot another try. I sorta made chili in September and hadn't touched it since. Now, I've managed to rock out this apple crisp and pulled chicken fajitas which will be coming next week.
- 6 chopped apples
- 2 TBS Amaretto liqueur
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons apple pie spice or I used pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons apple butter (I used Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter *not vegan but you can use agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance or regular butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Dash of salt
- Greek Yogurt mixed with pumpkin butter for garnish OR low-fat vanilla ice cream/coconut milk ice cream
- Place chopped apples in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add pumpkin butter, amaretto, 1-2 TBS pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar. Stir to coat the apples.
- Sprinkle walnuts over the apples and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice and salt. Cut in Smart Balance using a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture until they are all covered.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for about 4 hours. Make sure your crock pot has an off option after 4 hours so the house doesn't go up in flames.
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 4 grams