01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Autumn Harvest Pizza

Friday, September 20, 2013

Autumn Harvest Pizza

Photo: Harvest Pizza (kale, grass fed beef, 3 cheese)

I found this amazing blog, http://dishingupthedirt.com/, in Shape recently.  I was attempting the sweet potato-kale pizza this afternoon (this is from Sunday).  While I'm all for something new this isn't too bad.  Why am I posting it?  So you can substitute tomato sauce for the sweet potato and have great joy and success.

Here is my verson

1 refrigerated pizza crust (I used whole wheat Trader Joe's)
1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and chopped finely (or torn) about 2.5 cups.
2/3 cup tomato sauce
1/4 lb. of cooked grass fed beef (you can sub soy crumbles)
 1 and 1/4 cheese --assortment of cheeses (I used a buffalo hot sauce cheddar I randomly found, mozzarella, and goat cheese)

//now what//

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees, lightly flour your CLEAN (no one wants cat hair in their pizza) work surface and roll out pizza dough to fit a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  I like to sprinkle on corn meal to keep it from sticking.  Transfer dough to baking sheet and top with sauce, kale, cheese, beef.  Bake for 18 minutes.

Serves 5 normal people and 3 bros.  Calories 390, Protein 17, Fiber 7, Carbs ~38, I give it a 2.5 on the diabetic exchange there.

Let's go Pittsburgh!