This is also friendly for those with Diabetes. I give it about a 2 carb servings estimate for 2 pancakes.
- 3/4 cup pancake mix (preferably whole wheat)
- 1/2 of oatmeal microwaved for 2 minutes in 1/2 cup of water (don't toss any of the liquid)
- 1 scoop of protein powder mixed in 1/2 cup water
- 2 TBS flax seeds (ground)
- 2 egg whites (can omit to make this vegan)
- 3/4 cup fat-free small curd cottage cheese (or ricotta) (can use silken tofu, 1 block to make vegan)
- 2 TBS agave nectar (or sweetener of choice, for those with diabetes, I recommend using Truvia or other non-caloric natural sweetener).
Heat a pan over medium to medium low heat and spray with non-stick spray. Combine liquids: oatmeal, protein powder in milk, egg whites, cheese, agave. In a separate bowl, combine the flax, pancake mix and slip the liquid mix into the dry (this can also sit overnight), drop in the pan by 1/3 cup and it will take about 4 minutes on each side.
Combine 1/2 cup frozen blueberries with 1 packet of natural sweetener (Truvia, etc.) or 2 tsp of agave nectar, microwave for 1 minute, stir, and an additional 30 seconds as needed.
Total Calories for two pancakes and 1/4 cup of 'syrup': 250 Calories, 15 g protein, 6 g fiber.