Oh, Downton Abbey, killing off my favorite characters. To successfully mourn the loss of Sybil, I figured macaroni and cheese would be necessary. Actually, I was on a kick to make something that wasn't Velveeta and contributing to extra time at the gym.
- 1 lb whole wheat macaroni (can substitute gluten-free)
- non-stick spray
- 1 1/2 cups of 1% milk (or whatever dairy milk happens to be in the fridge)
- 3 TBS flour (I've used whole wheat, spelt, and all purpose)
- 1 1/2 cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup small curd fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 bag of frozen peppers
- 1 tsp salt and 3 tsp pepper
- cayenne pepper (if desired)
- Prepare pasta according to package directions with during the last minute of cooking slip in the broccoli and peppers, drain it all together, preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large sauce pan, spray with non-stick spray, heat 1 cup of the milk until simmering, combine 1/2 of milk with flour and add to hot milk. Tip in Cheeses, sour cream, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add macaroni and toss to coat, slide into a 9x11 baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serves 10, serving size 1 cup: 320 Calories, 17 g protein, 9 g fiber.