01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: “Don’t dig your grave with your own knife and fork.” ~ English Proverb

Sunday, January 9, 2011

“Don’t dig your grave with your own knife and fork.” ~ English Proverb

Winter has settled in and I'm waiting for seasonal depression to attack at any moment.  It's currently 13 degrees F and I'm happy to not be living anywhere farther north than I am now. 
 
Today I do not miss those Kent, Ohio winters from my undergrad. Nothing builds character such as walking to class in -5 degree weather.

One of my 2011 Resolutions was to stick to a food budget. Which I've done well for two weeks now.  I'm still endogamous with frozen vegetables and free books on the Kindle.  

Beans are the H&M for the frugal dieter.


Classy Hummus

Ingredients
1-16 oz can of chickpeas 
1 TBS garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 TBS rosemary and basil
1 TBS olive oil
2 TBS light butter spread (i.e. Brummel and Brown, Olivio Light, Smart Balance Light)
3 TBS to 1/4 cup of 0% fat Greek Yogurt

In a blender or a bowl with an immersion blender, combine all ingredients and enjoy!

Makes 12 servings.  1 Serving = 2 TBS, 66 Calories, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber

Bake a Pillsbury Pizza dough and complete the snack.
We all know beans are high in fiber and protein.  Vegetarians worship them.  Great.  Did you also know that beans are high in anti-oxidants and help fight wrinkles?  The same goes for heart-healthy olive oil.  Greek Yogurt and light butter blends give the dip texture.