01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Southwest Skillet Potatoes

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Southwest Skillet Potatoes

Photo: Skillet Adobo Roasted Potatoes #cleaneating

Bam!  Cast-Iron Skillet, fragrant seasonings...makes my poor decelerator muscles (i.e. I strained my left shoulder) forget the angst I'm in (please kick in Advil).

I really never see chili and cumin making friends with potatoes, let's see where this goes.

Ingredients:
5-6 small potatoes or 3-4 large potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (leave skins on)
1 Tablespoon chili seasoning
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt
3 chopped cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons of basil
1 Tablespoon of fresh cilantro (I hate this stuff but it came in my CSA bag)
1 Tablespoon pepper
2 Tablespoons packed dark (or light) brown sugar
1 Tablespoon coconut oil (or olive)
2 Tablespoons Smart Balance

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients.  Place in a large baking sheet and stir every 20 minutes, potatoes should take about an hour.

Servings depend on number of potatoes but keep portions to 1 cup, 200 Calories, 20 g carbohydrates (about 1.3 servings of carbs on the diabetic exchange list), 4 g protein, 4 g fiber.