01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Attack of the Killer (stuffed) Tomatoes

Monday, September 9, 2013

Attack of the Killer (stuffed) Tomatoes

they look harmless
For some reason my dad decided to plant 27 tomato plants.  I'm not sure why.  Well, I needed to go to Pennsylvania (AKA HOME) for the weekend and ended up taking back about 8 lbs to Ohio.  

My second question deals with why I took that many lbs. of tomatoes back with me but oh, well.  I had this assumption that I'd just figure out something.  I got a bag of spelt berries which I'm pretty sure will solve world hunger.  Those things when cooked (they take about 45 minutes) increase in size like an angry incredible hulk.  I also don't give two *****s if they're paleo, gluten-free, or fad diet friendly. I just know that I hate rice and I get tired of whole wheat pasta at times.  

So HERE WE GO:

6 tomatoes
1 cup of cooked spelt berries, can sub quinoa, rice, pasta, whatever
add to that cooked bumper crop vegetables: I used eggplant, peppers, mushrooms
To make it all stick together, add 1 cup of daiya or mozzarella cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 350.  Cut the tops off your 'maters and make a gentle effort in expelling some of the seeds.  Stuff those bad boys and happily pack them in some Pyrex.  Bake for about 35-45 minutes depending on how soft you like your stuffed tomatoes.  

Calories?  Yes, I would consider two tomatoes (depending on the size) as one serving around 250 Calories, 8 g protein, and 7 g fiber. If you're diabetic, I'd say this runs around 30-35 g Carbohydrates or two servings.  You might want to decrease the spelt berries and add in cannellini beans (they are lowest in the bean/flatulence world and one of the best in protein).