01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Summer Cornbread

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer Cornbread

Garrett County, Maryland from I-68, my happy place. 
It's summer.  I really don't want anything heavy and I'm fine with living off of BBQ chicken and salad.  Periodically, I want some sort of bread side dish that isn't going to ruin this vegetation nirvana.  Initially, I wanted to come up with an egg free orange biscotti, but I got lazy and wanted to use some of the oranges from my Fresh Bag and the herbs I have ignored in my window herb garden.

Using the Greek Yogurt in place of fat increases the protein of the bread.
Oranges are epic in vitamin C which are fabulous for anti-aging.
Whole grains keep blood sugars from spiking (and becoming 'hangry').


Gather up:
1-6 oz carton of plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt (I used Trader Joe's)
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used spelt)
1/4 almond meal
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 TBS olive oil (It might increase satiety...i.e. you get full and stop eating)
zest and juice of one orange
3-4 TBS chopped fresh herbs (I used thyme and rosemary)
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp turmeric (just for the anti-inflammatory benefits)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine all ingredients and pour into a small baking vessel (or a cupcake pan!), bake for 30-40 minutes.  I like mine a bit more dried out with pesto.

Substitutions:
Use all corn meal to make gluten free.
Substitute coconut milk yogurt or a mashed banana to make it vegan.
Add more orange juice/zest (or use 1/2 carton yogurt and add in 3 TBS amaretto)