01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Lighten Up A Fatty Recipe and Why Instagram Is Makes My Life Look Awesome

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lighten Up A Fatty Recipe and Why Instagram Is Makes My Life Look Awesome



I have been mildly obsessed with Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen.  It's probably more of a pipe dream I have of Cooking Network stardom (The Food Network is for sell-outs ha!)...anyway, although I love this book and have currently made 12 recipes from it, it's not exactly friendly to those getting married, on diets or just wanting to see their feet on a daily basis.

How the heck is one supposed to lighten up a recipe?

Here are a few rules:
*Once you figure out cooking, you'll realize that a recipe is something...of a guideline.  Baking is an exact science and because I find rules to be confining to development within Maslow's higherarchy of needs, I typically throw them out the door. I have also jacked up several recipes over the course of my life time so proceed with caution.

  1. If a recipe calls for oil in the pan you can get away with non-stick spray.  This will net you 100-200+ Calories saved in a dish.
  2. Use low-fat dairy in just about everything except for cream sauces.  I suggest using 75% of the cream a recipe calls for (you can play around with half and half too).
  3. Old favorites like Velveeta Shells and Cheese can actually not be as horrific for you as the food label indicates, use about 3/4 the amount of the fake cheese packet and during your last minute of cooking: throw in a bag of frozen broccoli to cook with the pasta, drain and throw in the 'liquid gold'.  This will save about 50-75 Calories per serving and makes your measly 1 cup portion grow to about 1 2/3 cups for the same 250-300 Calories.
  4. You can throw a bag (or two or three) of frozen vegetables in about any pasta recipe.  
  5. Whip can icing with a hand held mixer for 1 minute and gently fold in 1 cup of low calorie frozen whipped topping, this cuts icing calories on desserts.
Photo: Right now I feel ____________.

Penguins beat the Flyers 2-1 in overtime!
Let's Go Pens!