01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: "Fed Up With Lunch" One Educator Exposes The Mid-Day Meal

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"Fed Up With Lunch" One Educator Exposes The Mid-Day Meal

I spent my formative/awkward years during the 1990s in a small Catholic school tucked away in South Western Pennsylvania.  I always had a packed lunch of a peanut butter sandwich and Washington Apple that was kept cold with a frozen Hi-C drink that thawed to a slushy, yet spectacular mess.  The early '90s was still pretty retro with...mostly homemade meals.  Garlic rolls, spaghetti with meatballs, pretty epic food that I would periodically eat despite my almost autistic dietary habits that drove my dad to the point of insanity.  Then the half frozen or evil 'cook-chill' foods came in, not as much staff was needed and we were all exposed to 'fruit cups', square pouches with juice and the remnants of a peach.  It was terribly sad.

Fed Up With Lunch on Flickr
I recently discovered Sarah Wu via The Splendid Table (full article here).  Sarah bought a school lunch one day (one that the students eat) and it sparked her interest in blogging which turned into a book, Fed Up With Lunch.

Here is the radio broadcast with Lynne Rossetto Casper from NPR's The Splendid Table: