|Make awesome vegetable sides.|
Well, it's that time every four years when you've realized that you might hate half of your Facebook friends after an election. Maybe your spouse, partner, or roommate just went over the edge and you're bitter, happy, or just plain awkward after this past week. Celebrate or sulk? Whine or wine?
There is one day that is ours. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.--O. Henry
Instead of the usual: don't eat 6 desserts, drink 3 bottles of wine because your grandmother keeps asking why you're not married/etc., I wanted to take a different approach and let you know.:
I'm going to binge eat too. I'm excited about this.
"I like to compare eating to the use of a credit card. If I have $100 to spend on Friday, I'm not going to spend it tomorrow. I'm going to try to hold on to it until Friday," said Connie Holt, a Registered Dietitian and associate professor of the School of Hospitality Management at Widener University in Chester, Pa. "And if I go out on Friday and I spend the money in the first hour, I'm going to have to pull out a credit card and have to pay the excess off later."-- From ABC NewsSo here is a sample meal plan for a female to follow the week (or two) prior to the holiday (guys add 300-400 Calories or unless you're a really tall chick).
Breakfast (pick one):
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal made with 1 cup of water, coffee with upwards of 1/2 cup of 1% milk, 4 egg whites or egg substitute (can add 1 TBS of flax seed to oatmeal if you're vegan).
- 1 slice of whole wheat toast with 3 egg whites and 1 egg with 1 TBS of cheese and 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables.
- Protein shake (about 100-120 Calories per scoop) with 1 cup of low calorie coconut milk, ice, and half a banana.
Lunch (pick one):
- unlimited salad greens and hard boiled egg whites, toss with 1 TBS olive oil, unlimited vinegar, and 1 TBS honey or agave (can add palm sized portion of grilled chicken, or vegans can eliminate egg whites/chicken and substitute 1/2 cup of edamame).
- 1.5 cups of low-sodium tomato soup, grilled cheese made with 2 slices of whole wheat bread (can use 100 Cal sandwich thins) and 1 oz of cheese (low-fat string cheese works fine)
- Couscous salad, 1/2 cup of cooked whole wheat couscous with 4 oz of chicken or 1/2 cup of great northern beans, add unlimited: kale, peppers, and whatever vegetables that make you happy (corn better not be one of them).
Dinner (pick one):
- Palm sized portion of salmon OR chicken OR lean beef OR soy crumbles with 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of cooked whole wheat pasta with unlimited vegetables (see above) and salad made with balsamic dressing (see above).
- whole wheat pita with 2 TBS hummus, 4 oz of meat or stir-fried tofu, pair with 1 cup of vegetable based soup <150 calories="calories" li="li" per="per" serving="serving"> 150>
- Tortilla Pizza: 1-2 low calorie tortillas (La Tortilla Factory is my favorite) topped with Daiya (vegan cheese) 1/2 cup or 1/2 cup of low fat mozzarella, top with 1/4 cup beans, salsa, and peppers bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Snacks (pick 1-2...guys may want 3):
- Protein shake made with low calorie coconut milk
- egg whites and hard boiled eggs
- small piece of fruit with 1 TBS of almond or peanut butter
- raw vegetables and 3 TBS hummus
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of edamame
Cut out the following ASAP:
- booze (don't drink until you actually have to deal with your family)
- junk food