01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Half-Marathon Nutrition

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Half-Marathon Nutrition

I ran a 2:09 half-marathon this morning and it might have been one of the greatest experiences of my life.  I am also not going up steps and am wishing that I could walk on my arms.  The burger from FlipSide and Jeni's Dark Chocolate Ice Cream.  I officially feel fat, useless, yet motivated to do this again...maybe Pittsburgh's great race.  Each mile had something different to offer.  There was the infamous Columbus high five runner who popped up 6 times, hilarious signs consisting of: "we love you mommy don't poop your pants", "worst parade ever", and my personal favorite "honey, can you hurry up so I can set my fantasy team?"

Basically, you really need to replete carbohydrates but not so much that you have 1/2 lb of sport jelly beans slushing around in your abdomen.  Pop some during miles 5, 7, 9 and 11-12.  Replete electrolytes via Gatorade and another sport beverage mid-way and towards the end of your race but if you're doing GU, shot blocks, or Stingers...etc., you may not really need to hit up the 'ade as much as water.  There were enough hydration stations that I didn't really need a water bottle for which was nice.  I did a 10k last year and realized that the half might be more of 'my race'.  10ks and 5ks are a sprint distance and well, sprint I did, and water I did not drink enough last year of and I paid a good 3 weeks before I felt normal again.  It probably didn't help that my heart rate was through the roof and I had 0 glycogen left in my liver and anywhere else there was muscle.

Overall the diet looked like this:
5 AM Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk in 2 cups of coffee
6:15 AM 1 hr later 1/2 a GU gel
7:38 finally start the race
8:20 AM 3 shot blocks, 10 oz water, ~4 oz Gatorade
9:10 AM 3 more shot blocks, 10 oz water, 8 oz Gatorade
9:45 AM 2 shot blocks, contemplating why the !@#$# I just got myself into and 20 oz of water
10 AM    4 oz of chocolate milk, chips, pretzels, and half a banana which is the nastiest combination of carbohydrates on earth which was then followed by 3 TBS of peanut butter to complete my fatness...then I went to these places to make it a Thanksgiving kind of a calorie bomb.  There's apparently a Hot Chocolate 5k and 9k coming in November which doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Maybe when I'm capable of walking in the next 2 weeks, I may give that a shot too.
Grass-Fed Heaven lies here.
Dark Chocolate
Jeni's Splendid Dark Chocolate Pint



never give up......

Julius Koskei, who finished the half in 1:03:44