01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Pancake Post

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pancake Post

Wow.  I was really at a loss of words putting that title together.  I hope you enjoyed the meme from yesterday and continue to not take me too seriously. I've make it out of a half-marathon training rut which consisted of two weeks of crappy runs/not enough time and not a big deal if you are NOT A HYPOCHONDRIAC shin pain, so I lifted like Tony Horton and his P90x crew were about to judge my cardio laziness and I foam rolled and I foam rolled.  I find great happiness in foam rolling and I spent some life in yoga classes figuring out why I'm not having another quarter plus a few years crisis.  {I also left the 8 lbs.} that Maryland gave me back in the Free State somewhere and I am back to my usual weight with the "I'd like to lose that last ten but you know it was just Cinco De Mayo and I really wanted those tacos from Chipotle with chicken (no beans/rice/double fajita vegetables/lettuce/AND GUACAMOLE)."

Enough Gina.  We just want the pancakes recipe.

So I perused through my Cooking Light Complete Cookbook cookbook instead of trying to use another blogger's post because well, some bloggers might create a recipe 100 in test kitchen, but I know I fudge everything and then put it out there.  I don't bake often for these reasons because I hate rules.  I need f r e e d o m.   





Buttermilk Pancakes from Cooking Light by Jean Kressy...with my comments on the side.


  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, you can use whole wheat or go half white and half wheat
  • 2 tablespoons sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or add 1-2 tsp of lemon juice to regular milk)
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil 
  • large egg, lightly beaten 
  •  Wait for the bubbles!
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

  1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
  2. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
1 pancake=99 Calories, so eat two, have some eggs or egg whites and enjoy! 




At some point I will learn to be a better food photographer but my forte is eating at this stage of the game.