01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Nutella Is Not A Health Food. Lame. Carbs Are Still Safe.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nutella Is Not A Health Food. Lame. Carbs Are Still Safe.

Heaven in a jar. Not on your hips.
This was in the news a few weeks ago and really annoyed me.  Really?  We thought Nutella was good for us?  It makes me happy but after realizing that 2 Tablespoons have the same amount of Calories as peanut butter I figured it would be put in my "I should not eat this everyday" mental file.  That was 12 years ago.

We were not eating carbs ten years ago either because they "make us fat".  If you believe this I will re-direct you to this article.  Yes, carbohydrates are used in the synthesis of serotonin (the happy hormone), ignite fat metabolism, are the primary use of energy in cells (whereas protein is fine when you're literally starving but will actually change the pH of blood affecting the kidneys and in more severe cases--diabetics--can cause a nasty case of keto-acidosis).  I am done with my rant but when you've been in the Kent State University library studying these mechanisms at 2 AM fueled on Starbucks and diet Red Bull (bad idea at 21) for a final, you'll use any excuse to sound intelligent and 'bring it back'.

Trust me, I'm a dietitian.