01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Crazy Curcumin? Or Is It Turmeric Thursday?

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Crazy Curcumin? Or Is It Turmeric Thursday?

I did an hour and a half yoga routine last night at Balanced Yoga in Clintonville.  Currently, I do not have a vendetta against Atkins or other low carb BS (Jillian Michaels flipped out on the paleo people).  I am at p e a c e.  I also have no balance but since I'm having a mild obsession with chakras, Deepak Chopra, and paraben free beauty products I thought I'd go back to my beloved bottle of turmeric...which I'm hoping will be a fountain of youth...or keep me from Alzheimer's in 70 years.  

Here is a round up from Dr. Andrew Weil for the Huffington Post.  
Here's a quick roundup of recent research on both turmeric and curcumin:
Two more days left.  Make them count. 
  • "Curcumin seems to delay liver damage that can eventually lead to cirrhosis, according to preliminary experimental research at the Medical University Graz in Austria."
  • "Kansas State University research found that adding certain spices, including turmeric, can reduce the levels of heterocyclic amines -- carcinogenic compounds that are formed when meats are barbecued, boiled or fried -- by up to 40 percent."
  • "Rodent studies at the University of Texas indicate that curcumin inhibits the growth of a skin cancer, melanoma and also slows the spread of breast cancer into the lungs."
  • "Researchers from the University of South Dakota have found that pretreatment with curcumin makes cancer cells more vulnerable to chemo and radiotherapy."
  • "Epidemiologists have hypothesized that the turmeric that is part of daily curries eaten in India may help explain the low rate of Alzheimer's disease in that country. Among people aged 70 to 79, the rate is less than one-quarter that of the United States."
Read the full article here