Here's a recipe for an easy protein shake from Women's Health Magazine:
Save your quarters by skipping the vending machine's peanut butter crackers and packing your own nutritious snack. For a hunger-curbing option, try 10 multigrain wheat crackers (such as Multigrain Wheat Thins) and a tablespoon of peanut butter. This nutrient-rich snack rings in at just 193 calories and offers 2 grams of fiber. The combination of complex carbs and protein help to keep your blood sugar stable and keep you feeling full longer. Healthy Peanut Butter Balls
Yields 16-18 balls
1 cup peanut butter, natural is preferred (chunky or creamy)
2 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar)
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or wheat germ
2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
cocoa powder, wheat germ, powdered sugar, chopped peanuts, (optional) - for coating
- Heat peanut butter and honey in the microwave until easily mixed, about 15-20 seconds. Stir until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, flaxseed and coconut (if using) until combined.
- Add peanut butter mixture to oat mixture and stir until incorporated. (Mixture may seem a little dry at first...just keep mixing).
- Form a rounded tablespoonful of the combined mixture into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until all mixture is used. Now, if you do not want to coat the balls, skip to step 6.
- Roll each ball in whatever coating suits your preference. Cocoa powder, powdered sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon sugar and chopped peanuts are some ideas.
- Chill the plate of balls in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour, or overnight.