01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: {Oven Fried Chicken}

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

{Oven Fried Chicken}

For the longest time I've feared deep frying or cooking in oil at home mainly because of the splash factor.  I guess saying that fried foods are fat bombs but that never kept me away from a mozzarella stick at Applebee's during Happy Hour.

Needless to say, I've decided that if I can run ten miles by May I'm signing up for the Columbus Half-Marathon.  I've thought about a half-marathon for about 8 months now and now that I'm completing more of the FIRST Training 3+2 program (3 runs and 2 cross training days) I did my first 7 mile run last night.


Faux Fried Chicken.

You'll need:
2% Greek Yogurt 1/2 Cup
2 TBS Mustard
1 TBS Agave Nectar/Honey or Maple Syrup
hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 TBS Quaker Steak and Lube Arizona Ranch Sauce or 1 TBS of instant Ranch dressing (from the packet) OR 1 TBS of Ranch dressing.

Chicken! (Breast, tenders, white meat please--no skin)

Two cups of cornflakes, crushed with 1 TBS low sodium Old Bay

Combine the above ingredients in a bowl and stir.  Reserve 1/4 cup of the mixture to use as a dipping sauce for later.  Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to over an hour (I did this while running my 7 miles).   Dredge each chicken strip in the cornflake mixture until evenly coated. Place on baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes (depends on thickness of chicken). 


Goes well with baked sweet potato fries and ...a beer!