01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Ukrainian Borscht and Wendy's Chili

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ukrainian Borscht and Wendy's Chili

{I live on good soup, not on fine words.}
Moliere

It's dark out when I go to work and it's dark out when I get home.  There are two things I want to do right now and those are sleep and eat soup.

After spinning Thursday night I made a rare fast food run through Wendy's Drive-Thru for a small container of their chili.  A small chili has 210 Calories, 17 g protein, 6 g of fiber.  I'd say it's healthier than 90% of frozen diet meals.  I threw in extra roasted peppers, 1/4 cup white beans, and 2 TBS avocado to bump the Calories up to about 350 Calories, 21 g protein, 10 g fiber.




Oh and on to the Borscht.  It's not cold beet soup.  Once upon a time I was incredibly fortunate to have a Ukrainian Bubba from the old country.  She left us when I was eight but many of her recipes live on.


Here's the closest recipe to what I'm familiar with from All Recipes.  I used the ENTIRE head of cabbage, threw in 1 lb. of bison (has no hormones), and of course it needed a hearty glass of red wine and a beer to simmer in.  To make vegetarian swap meat for tempeh or Boca veggie crumbles.