01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit.
–Henry David Thoreau



Have you ever asked yourself, "Do I live in moderation?" or do you find yourself in a perpetual state of caloric Lenten repentance.  We have 500 ways to lose the same weight over and over.  Has anyone ever figured out how to maintain that happy state of "skinny"?


To grasp our weight issue in this country we need to think in terms of "what do I really need"?  OK, I ate a piece of cake for lunch.  It was great.  One of the Occupational Therapists had a birthday and I like cake more than salad. True story.  So what did I do?  I figured it had 500 calories-ish in it.  I had consumed about 500 calories that day and I typically eat 1300 calories per day so I had 300 left for dinner.  This has been a trial and error process.  Do I need that extra slice of cake or do I need to do a few more pages of paperwork before getting a cup of tea?


Figure out your calorie needs with the Mayo Clinic's Calculator (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598)

Check out NRG Balance (http://www.nrgbalance.org/for-families/nrgbalance12345.cfm) for more information on getting your family active.

Plus roaming around Piccadilly Circus in London, England can put you in a negative energy balance too!

Thought I'd throw out some promos for the month of August.  My company, RDs On The Run, is having a back to school special.  Please e-mail me at glesako@gmail.com for more information.  I specialize in weight loss, lifestyle management, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and sports nutrition.