01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: {Oatmeal Cookies Three Ways}

Monday, November 28, 2011

{Oatmeal Cookies Three Ways}

It's been a crazy and rewarding Thanksgiving break. Yet I have nutritionally neglected myself and 'yinz' as well.  Luckily, Steve bought me running shoes for my birthday, new Mizunos!  I feel thinner already.

My poor 'pound hound' Lois Lane was feeling awful from a bout of pancreatitis and we were worried that she would have to be put to sleep (she's 15 years old).  Luckily, after a few days of steroids and some IV fluids, she's feeling better.
With another round of holidays, I've decided to start baking again.  I was inspired by this post from Tara Stiles.




I took the same idea of the recipe and made my tweaks as usual.

I use rules as guidelines as I find they inhibit my creativity.

So here's my take (since some of us live 100 miles from a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's)

Screw Sugar Oatmeal Cookies
  • Banana, fresh, 3 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 
  • Olive Oil, 1/4 cup 
  • Oats, 2 cups
  • Flour, white, 2/3 cup
  • Salt, 1 tsp 
  • Cinnamon, ground, 1.5 tbsp 
  • Baking Powder, 1 tsp 
  • Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips,1/4 cup + 1 TBS
Mash bananas and stir in olive oil/chocolate chips, in another bowl mix oats, flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder.  Drop by 2 tsp on a greased baking sheet (non-stick or Silpats work fine) and bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes.  I like to smash mine down before throwing in the oven.

Here's the 2.0 Version of the above recipe:

Add 1/4 cup peanut butter to above recipe, this will increase Calories to 157 ish.




Here is the calorie breakdown of my Screw Sugar Oatmeal Cookies cookies:

 16 Servings

Amount Per Serving
  Calories 132.8
  Total Fat 5.9 g
      Saturated Fat 1.9 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 2.9 g
  Cholesterol 0.0 mg
  Sodium 178.6 mg
  Potassium 179.6 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
      Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
      Sugars 5.4 g
  Protein 2.0 g