For the record, half the items I purchase are organic or at least free from my nemesis high fructose corn syrup. I also have issues with soy but that's for another post. Even my beloved Snooki can see the difference in price between a $2.99 pint of strawberries compared to the $4.99 pint of organic strawberries, and if you need a few pints, plus the rest of your grocery list? Epic fail.
Coupons to the rescue. This upcoming issue of Vegetarian Times has a great article titled, "Eat Clean For Less", which provides creative ideas to save some green.
- When you're cash strapped, stick to buying organic from the dirty dozen.
- Use coupons from your local grocer's weekly circular or check out organicdeals.com, mambosprouts.com, and recyclebank.com
- Use store organic brands.
- Purchase organic foods that last a while (carrots, cabbage, cauliflower)
- Visit your local farmers market.