01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

 
Thanksgiving is in less than a week away.  Wonderful.  Where did 2010 go anyway?  I felt like I shoveled myself out just to roast in +100 degree temperatures and I landed in London, I would have enjoyed being stranded there for a while, too. 



Now, I'm slathering on anti-wrinkle cream to avoid another birthday next Saturday. Actually, I love cake so a birthday isn't so bad.


Magazines, health experts, and most media either inundate us with wonderful holiday recipes (deep fried turdunkin anyone?), low-calorie desserts, and a wine to accompany all of the above.  


Is there a wine that compliments in-laws, dysfunctional families, or sibling rivalry? 


Maybe the answer in that is not the wine but maybe the quantity.


I hate to tell people to eat healthy during a celebration.  I argue that it's once an year and the problem is the leftovers.  


So before you try to be an optimist and stick to your diet on this most gluttonous of celebrations, make a few dishes from Cooking Light: 13 Great Thanksgiving Meals.


You can always diet on Black Friday.



"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." 
 Mae West