01 09 10 Tweet Dietitians Eat Chocolate Too: Dieting putting a damper on your holiday cheer?

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dieting putting a damper on your holiday cheer?

I figured I'd start this with telling you how much I love eating cookies/anything with chocolate or butter. I can go Paula Deen on much of this stuff.

My diet pretty much went straight to one of Dante's seven layers of pastry hell mostly because every single nursing station in the hospital had a few plates of various cookies.

It's an unspoken rule that if you're a dietitian and another dietitian are near a plate of cookies, it is socially acceptable if you both enjoy a sugary confection (even if it is several times a day), even if the cardiologist/half of the medical staff is observing.



People think we don't eat delicious food. It's a shame. I love me a good basket of sun stix (fried sweet potato fries with ranch dressing) from Ray's Place in Kent, Ohio. However, when I'm on my pulpit, I preach from the good book of moderation and physical activity.



However, confessing caloric sins on the blog is not quite as spiritually liberating as "repenting" those caloric sins on the treadmill. Anyway, this is a time of year to celebrate anything, so why not have a cookie (or five).



However, going back to my moderation homily, grandma didn't go to the trouble of rolling out 8 dozen nut rolls for you to pick at a piece of lettuce and say you're on a diet. Eat. One. Cookie. Or eat 5. Just hit the gym/trail for some cardio or weights the next day. And Eat. Some. Salad.







Eating Strategies for Healthier Holiday Parties